Friday 27 June 2008

Human Nature?

My new mortgage venture seems to have hit the buffers a little. As direct selling is not something I have been involved in before, I am somewhat surprised at the way in which some clients, or potential clients respond.

For example, it is quite common for me to do a presentation of the quotation at the second meeting and the clients often make the right noises about being impressed or at least interested in what our company has to offer. In this day and age, it is not suprising that they then require a little time to consider it, although some do sign up straight away. Many I am sure also already have another quotation or are going to seek one which is fair enough when you are talking about such big figures.

However, what disappoints and frustrates me is that it is often left that they will contact me either way in a few days. In most cases this simply never happens and I have to try to contact them again. They often seem to avoid this happening because they have decided not to go with our quotation and for some reason are reluctant, unwilling or just incapable of telling me of their decision. Why??

If I had said I would get back to them with a quotation on a certain day then I would not expect to do business with them as I had not complied with my promise. One rule for providers and another for customers?

So why do several clients feel that they need not give you their decision and are therefore happy to keep me hanging on waiting for their verdict.

I have always gone through life trying to deal with other people in the way I would like them to deal with me. Therefore, if I undertake to do something then I try to make sure I do it on time and to a good standard. Is it therefore unreasonable for me to expect clients to come back to me within a reasonable space of time to give me their decision, be that positive or negative?

Or is this just setting too much store in human nature, whatever that is?

Answers on a postcard please to......

No comments: